Benefits of Mentoring
Benefits for students
Benefits for mentors
Why do mentors mentor?
- I feel useful and it's great to contribute;
- the people are friendly - we have lots of fun;
- I feel like I'm making a difference by helping a young person;
- to keep learning new skills and using my brain;
- it keeps me young being around young people;
- to help my communication with my own children and grandchildren;
- it gets me involved with the local community;
- to meet new people;
- there's lots of support and every student and group is different; and
- I've gained confidence and new skills to help me with my career interests.
Mentors can continually develop their skills as part of Plan-it Youth. For example, two mentors developed a short movie for the program.
Plan-it Youth – a movie about Plan-it Youth Hunter Mentoring Program